Located in the center of the Old City and housed by several special venues, that is, by four seats dating back to the Middle Age, the museum displays several exhibitions depicting the historic periods of the city, ranging from the Antiquity to the present days.
Architecturally speaking, the museum strikes by its verticality. In fact, the museum is built just as the city is, on several levels.
The 6 levels of the museum are connected by a panoramic elevator which allows visitors to make an overall impression of the history of the city. The first two floors display a permanent exhibition depicting the first part of the history of Luxembourg from is foundation to 1839, when the duchy obtained its independence. The following two levels display exhibitions featuring the recent history of the city, with five fundamental themes: the City and its Power, the City in Motion, the City and the Environment, the City and the Comfort, the City and Europe.
The last three floors of the museums are dedicated to temporary exhibitions, by means of which contemporary artists display their works.
The Protestant Church of Luxembourg has represented by its foundation an extremely significant moment for the history of Protestantism in the Grand Duchy.
The Pétrusse Casemates are too a tourist site of special historic charge. It was no sooner than 1933 that their tourist potential was discovered.
The Church of Saint Michael is, perhaps, the oldest Christian edifice in the Grand Duchy. It was repeatedly restored in time.